Adventures with Tripod

The Braided Cowl in just a few of the colors I have to offer in my shop.
Taking product photos that are of the quality and look that I want has proven to be harder than I originally thought.  My camera is nice, although somewhat old, and I have (at least I thought) interesting ideas on the way I want my items displayed and portrayed.  Well, after hours spent setting up and shooting, I had only a few photos that I wouldn't be embarrassed to share.  No need to feel down, photography skills can improve and the quality of the item is there just waiting to be captured.

Braided Cowl in Wine
Now, on to the next problem...How can one get an idea of what something will look like, how it will drape, what options are available and so on if there isn't a photo of someone actually wearing the garment?!  So, I recruited my husband to take the photos and I would (rather reluctantly but for lack of options) be the "model".  There are two problems with this solution.  First of all, my husband and I have very different ideas about what will look best for these photos.  I want artsy and cool, he wants detail and a lot of focus.  Second, he hates the heat.  We've been enjoying weather in the ballpark of 100 degrees daily.  By the time he gets home from being in the heat all day, the only thing he wants to do is go inside.  I, on the other hand work in an air conditioned office for most of the day and want nothing more than to breathe outside.  So, this combo equals a rushed and forced photo shoot.  To sum it up, I was in need of another option.

Enter, Tripod.  Dear sweet Tripod has never been used by me before.  Alone he sat wondering why he even had a place in our home when all of a sudden the light went on.  With the help of my Tripod I could actually take pictures of myself the way that I want them!  In theory, that is.  So, I gathered up my things and headed outdoors.

I tested several locations but wasn't getting the results I wanted when I turned around and saw just the background I needed!  Tall golden grass softly blowing in the breeze.  Never mind that it was in perfect view on my neighbors and the super busy road in front of my house.  So I set up my Tripod and started shooting:
Braided Cowl in Lemongrass.

After about five shots of myself I buckled under the thought of everyone scoffing (I'm sure no one even noticed) and ran back inside to look at my treasure.  I Loved them!  Well, I loved the idea that they gave.  Soft, romantic with the grass blowing.  So what if the subject of the photo is blurred while each blade of grass behind me was perfectly in focus!  Artsy....errr, I'll keep working on it.  At least now I have a solution that I can control and improve without having to rely on anyone else.

Now, every time you see a photo of me, just know that my not-so-dusty-anymore Tripod is right there with me!